Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Project 3: Synthesis + Modularity + Pattern

The objective of the project was to create a two dimensional pattern that reanalyzed a typeface we studied in the previous two assignments. The typeface I have chosen to analyze is a San Serif font. In this blog, I will present my process first and then the final pattern.

Process 1: Synthesis

In my previous project, I analyzed how the design of specific letters had informed the design of others. From that, I was able to conjecture what a new letter would look like based on the information I had gathered.

In this project, I used the same font and stuck with the idea of how certain design principles informed the design of others. The two letters I chose to focus on were the letters "o" and "k. The image above depicts the synthesis of my base unit in my final pattern. The synthesis began by mirroring the "k". When placed right next to each other, the space seems to suggest the form and design of the letter "o". Finally, the shear angle of the form was taken from the angle of the legs of the "k".

This analysis was used in my final board.

Process 2: Modularity

After establishing a base unit for the pattern, I began playing around with the different angles of shear based on the form of the "k". Ultimately, this lead to a three dimensional cubic pattern. The idea of treating the synthesized pattern as a modular unit was formed here.

Synthesis + Modularity + Pattern:

Final Pattern: Fill + Grayscale


Final Pattern: Line + Line Weight

The final boards were ultimately reliant on the process and the ideas of synthesis and modularity. The pattern analyzes how the modular unit fits together to make a perfect square. This idea could be extrapolated and suggest that all characters within this typeface are synthesized and designed according to this perfect square. The idea of modularity is also shown in the background. The modular unit is used to reproduce the "k". This finally begins to suggest a modular design strategy to the typeface as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment